[OSGeo-Conf] student attendees in Paris

Michael Terner mgt at appgeo.com
Thu Jul 27 03:53:51 PDT 2017

Very quickly...

I don't have a specific student count yet, but I can report that we had
>200 people self-identify as either:

   - Interested in the academic track
   - Have a .edu on their email
   - Or, have a college/university on their organization
   - I.e., some significant portion of that 200 are students

Our primary accommodation for students was our "volunteer program" where we
provided a *full pass* for $50, and request that the volunteers do 12 hours
of work during the conference (ranging from guiding people, running the AV,
setting up/supporting various events). The $50 was mainly to ensure that
the volunteers had some "skin in the game" to discourage them from not
showing up, as we are relying on our volunteers. We expect a large portion
of our ~60 volunteers to be students. We also believe that in choosing an
education hub like Boston, we position ourselves to have good student
representation from the region.

We will compile our specific numbers once the conference is over.

MT

On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 5:04 AM, Fenoy Gerald <gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr>
wrote:

> Dear Till,
> thanks for your request.
>
> During this year FOSS4G-Europe we were very surprised to have only 25
> attendees (on 330) that has benefited of the student discount.
>
> This number is very low from my point of view and was a bit disappointing.
> Indeed, I think that in Bremen and Como the number of student was very high.
>
> From what we have discussed internally, one cause may be that the student
> were in holidays, they have finished their exam just a few weeks ago so
> they may have other interests at that time (such as organizing for the next
> year, searching for a new appartement and so on).
>
> Despite we were not able to attract enough students and whatever is the
> reason for them to not come, I still think it is one key target of the
> FOSS4G-Europe as they are the next generation.
>
> So, in that sense, this year, we have failed as we were not able to
> attract more students.
>
> I hope my answer is clear.
>
> Gérald Fenoy
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/User:Djay
>
> > Le 27 juil. 2017 à 09:12, Till Adams <till.adams at fossgis.de> a écrit :
> >
> > Dear Gerald,
> >
> > in order to get a better insight into students interest in our FOSS4G
> > conferences, I'd like to ask you, whether you know how many of your
> > attendees have been students?
> >
> > You know, that there are big discussions about how to open FOSS4G
> > conferences for students, but before we have deeper discussions on
> > changing a really succesful format (see > 1000 attendees for Boston) I'd
> > like to get a better picture on the general interest of students,
> > especially on the events, that are already low budget.
> >
> > Many thanks!
> >
> > Till

*Michael Terner*
*Executive Vice President*
617-447-2468 Direct | 617-447-2400 Main
Applied Geographics, Inc.
24 School Street, Suite 500
Boston, MA 02108
www.AppGeo.com

--
This e-mail message and any attachments may contain confidential or legally
privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient or otherwise