[OSGeo-Conf] LGBT in OSGeo

Mark Iliffe markiliffe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 15:34:24 PDT 2018

Dear All,

The start of this thread commenced with:

On the 20th of February I wrote in response to a concern raised on LGBT+
concerns in Dar es Salaam. To this, set out the following four action
points:

*To help move forward on this, we will 1. Ensure that we provide guidance
> to those in our community on this issue; 2. Seek dialog within our
> community on this issue, I am personally contactable on this and fully
> welcome any and all people who wish to discuss this on a face-to-face (over
> VC) or any other medium that the community would feel better with; 3.
> Recommend that the board puts in place guidance for future OSGEO
> conferences other this issues; 4. Support the formation of an LGBT+
> grouping within OSGEO to better support appropriate guidance on this issue.*

We're now a two months down the line and after a process of consultation
within the OSGeo community, with the input of our sister HOT community,
we've got a Code of Conduct [1] hopefully encapsulates our shared values. I
would not be so obtuse to declare "*Mission Accomplished*", we have a long
way to go here; we always will have a long way to go to ensure that we are
the most inclusive community that we can be. The steps that we as a DLOC
have now taken should have hopefully resolved the initial concerns that
some in community have had regarding LGBT+ concerns in Dar es Salaam. Today
in our weekly committee meeting, we progressed many things, including the
structure of our guidance notes for attendees to FOSS4G this year, this
will be published well in advance of previous FOSS4Gs to further inform and
help our community attend what we believe will be *THE BEST FOSS4G YET!!*

We envisage that the CoC remains a living document and is updated when new
questions on its content arise. This will hopefully transcend past Dar es
Salaam into future FOSS4Gs and we as a DLOC wish those LOCs the very best!
What is above stays true, my LOC and are happy to discuss this either over
email or by VC. Maria has started work on the points 3 and 4 through the
call for the Diversity Team [2], we will continue to support this as it
moves forward.

*We're looking forward to welcoming you all to Dar es Salaam this August! *

Best,

Mark Iliffe
Dar es Salaam FOSS4G co-chair.

[1]
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k_zWD2dnMg0T-EhA2l828xkLxGyMHpLOuc0WxB5vfkM/edit?usp=sharing

[2] http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/OSGeo-Discuss-f3842115.html

On 9 April 2018 at 12:35, Mark Iliffe <markiliffe at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Dear Mark,
>>>
>>> Thank you very much for your email.
>>>
>>> I agree we should continue the discussion in the open. Now we have a
>>> clear view of the current situation from the board (and people
>>> following that list). A reason why I personally haven't moved this
>>> quicker more open is because I don't want OSGeo to be responsible of
>>> people coming out of the closet on the community and then travelling
>>> to Tanzania and having problems because of that. The risk is very low,
>>> as you have confirmed, but this is a very sensitive issue in many
>>> countries. Everyone should be aware of this before starting to point
>>> personal experiences, especially people coming from privileged
>>> countries where being LGBT+ is not only legal, but socially accepted.
>>>
>>> We have an OSGeo meeting in Bonn very soon and I think that is a
>>> proper place to discuss this, as it will be face to face and some
>>> people will be able to discuss this without having to write their
>>> names anywhere. I agree there should be an LGBT+ group inside OSGeo,
>>> and maybe we should provide the tools to allow members from sensitive
>>> countries/personal situations to participate anonymously. (How? I
>>> don't know yet.) And we should promote also some kind of diversity
>>> advice group, where all kind of discriminations can be addressed.
>>> Maybe merge this idea with the CoC team? Maybe a separated dedicated
>>> team? I don't know.
>>>
>>> Thanks for this and if you need some immediate action from the board,
>>> just let us know.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> María.
>>>

>>> On Wed, Mar 7, 2018 at 12:11 AM, Mark Iliffe <markiliffe at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Dear OSGeo Board,
>>>
>>> On the 20th of February I wrote in response to a concern raised on LGBT+
>>> concerns in Dar es Salaam. To this, set out the following four action
>>> points:
>>>
>>> To help move forward on this, we will 1. Ensure that we provide guidance
>>> to those in our community on this issue; 2. Seek dialog within our
>>> community
>>> on this issue, I am personally contactable on this and fully welcome any
>>> and
>>> all people who wish to discuss this on a face-to-face (over VC) or any
>>> other
>>> medium that the community would feel better with; 3. Recommend that the
>>> board puts in place guidance for future OSGEO conferences other this
>>> issues;
>>> 4. Support the formation of an LGBT+ grouping within OSGEO to better
>>> support
>>> appropriate guidance on this issue.
>>>

>>> To update on this:
>>>
>>> 1. We are collaborating with Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team on this
>>> issue,
>>> to ensure that the response to our mutual communities are in lock-step on
>>> this issue. Guidance will be published for consultation for the
>>> shortly;