[OSGeo-Conf] [OSgeo-Conf] Nomination of Michael Terner & Guido Stein as official voting members of CC / Call4Vote until 02.02, .2018

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Jan 29 08:40:14 PST 2018

On Sat, Jan 27, 2018 at 3:16 PM, Venkatesh Raghavan
<venka.osgeo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/26/2018 11:31 PM, Till Adams wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> no, I did not nomnate Gerald. Gerald was nominated by Venke month ago.
>

> To set the record straight, I nominated Michael Terner and Gerald
> in August 2017.
>
> [1] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-August/004430.html

In my opinion, that is not a nomination.  That is a tangential
off-topic commentary.  Reviewing how we operate,

https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Decisions see #3

" ...clearly designated separate mail thread over a minimum of 2
business days with a minimum participation of 3 votes."

The subject of that thread is: "[OSGeo-Conf] [Board] [FOSS4G-2019 RFP]
Re: f2f meeting follow up" which sounds nothing like "MOTION: nominate
Michael Terner to Conference Committee"

Even if it was a nomination, I don't think that it attracted any

That might have been due to the focus on "[OSGeo-Conf] Start 2019 RFP
/ Board discussion about RFP for FOSS4G-2019",
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-August/004440.html

It also would have been difficult to complete membership changes
before the RFP process and it is a bad idea to run them at the same
time.

> [2] https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2017-August/004428.html

This is closer to a proper nomination and motion.  Why it didn't
attract any participation is uncertain.

It looks like we should maybe review our membership process that we
spent so much time discussing.
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Committee#Membership

I point this out not to be critical, but to encourage the proper
process and increase the likelihood of consideration and participation
on motions.  Look how obvious the motions are here,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2017-November/thread.html
in the list archives but also people's inboxes.  Keeping motions to
one topic in clearly designated separate threads, after there has been
any needed discussion makes the process flow more easily.

Best regards, Eli