[OSGeo-Conf] some decisions in the pipe

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Wed Jan 31 09:00:43 PST 2018

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 7:24 AM, Paul Ramsey <pramsey at cleverelephant.ca> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 2:42 AM, MarĂ­a Arias de Reyna <delawen at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On this topic, I don't think that it matters.  It is easier to compare
>>> two proposals that are in a vary similar format.  And sticking to the
>>> template format may indeed be an advantage.

It may not have been clear by what I wrote above, but my intent was to
say that teams should be free to use any format they want (for
whatever advantage or disadvantage that format may bring).

>> We already have an economic template, but for the "what do you plan to do"
>> and "how do you plan to do it" I think we should allow and foment
>> creativity.
>
> I have no position on creativity per se, but I think the suggestion
> that we need identically structured proposals in order to carry out
> some kind of rigorous section-by-section comparison regime is to imply
> a level of formalism that simply doesn't exist in our process. Read
> the freaking proposals. Form an opinion. Read them again to see if
> your opinion is shite. Decide.

Now this is tangential, but I've increasingly found that I'm choosing
between 2+ very good proposals.  I've not been able to make a
hypothetical case "why this proposal is not good for OSGeo and
FOSS4G."  While I still prefer one proposal over the others (whether
that is geography, organizing team, ideas for the event, etc), I can't
pretend that it is a well reasoned important decision.  On many of
these, objectively evaluating the finances, risks, quality, etc, one
can only conclude that either one would be a great event that is
successful.  This has led me to question our selection process or at
least the importance.

I read them.  I like one more than the other.  I vote. (But does it
matter if both are great?)

Eli