[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G metrics?

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 22:19:52 PDT 2018

Michael,

I've just reviewed your updated FOSSG4G metrics spreadsheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ux_hFq-C165140ZD48RRImPTHSpXj42OG3nBr9cyZYo/edit#gid=1782600951

I like where you are heading with this, with an all years summary tab,
followed by a tab for each conference.

There are a few glitches with the data still: As you suggested, I agree
that the old tabs (after "2006 Lausanne")  should be removed. However,
your current graphs point to data from these tabs to be removed.

Re: Ownership:

I think it should be owned by the OSGeo conference committee. Members of
the conference committee who wish to update the spreadsheet should be
provided with write access. The general public should be provided with
read access.

Re: Regional events:

As yet, I'm not aware of anyone collecting FOSS4G regional metrics, but
I think they would be valuable to collect.

The question is:

* Should we have a spreadsheet for each FOSS4G region, or should we have
one spreadsheet which contains all regions and all years, or should we
include into our current spreadsheet which only includes international
events?

* I'd err on having one spreadsheet for each region.

On 21/6/18 7:57 am, María Arias de Reyna wrote:
> Thanks!!!
>
> El mié., 20 jun. 2018 23:57, Cameron Shorter
> <cameron.shorter at gmail.com <mailto:cameron.shorter at gmail.com>> escribió:
>
>     OSGeo conference committee,
>
>     I'm bringing two conversations into this public conference email
>     list.
>
>     Some ideas here about updating metrics for the latest FOSS4G events.
>
>     On 21/6/18 2:47 am, michael terner wrote:
>>     As per your second question on Boston metric, you and I exchanged
>>     emails late last year (December, I believe) about a new version
>>     of the sheet
>>     <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ux_hFq-C165140ZD48RRImPTHSpXj42OG3nBr9cyZYo/edit?usp=sharing>
>>     [1] that I created after noting that the older version you sent
>>     me had accumulated significant clutter and detritus over the
>>     years (while remaining very useful). Boston data is here, and
>>     there are placeholders for the missing Bonn data as well as for
>>     Dar es Salaam and Bucharest. I think this sheet is ready to be
>>     put in play, but would trust your judgment and welcome your
>>     input. Perhaps we can take this conversation to a separate thread
>>     and make some plans (e.g., Where does it live? Who should have
>>     edit access? How to announce its existence? Etc.).
>
>     [1]
>     https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ux_hFq-C165140ZD48RRImPTHSpXj42OG3nBr9cyZYo/edit#gid=1782600951
>
>     On 21/6/18 12:51 am, Till Adams wrote:
>>     Hi Cameron,
>>
>>     ups, just forgot about these. I will try to deliver these ASAP!
>>
>>     Thanks for reminding,
>>
>>     Till
>>

>>     Am 20.06.2018 um 01:05 schrieb Cameron Shorter:
>>>     Hi Till,
>>>
>>>     I just noticed that we don't seem to have metrics for FOSS4G Bonn in
>>>     our aggregate spreadsheet:
>>>
>>>     https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BpkO5WOFQ_DZEWNMLj_hAhEre0m0io_j-JGf7geAW5Y/edit#gid=57
>>>

>>>     Do you have such metrics available, and able to be depersonalised and
>>>     put into this spreadsheet?
>>>

>     --
>     Cameron Shorter
>     Technology Demystifier
>     Open Technologies and Geospatial Consultant
>
>     M +61 (0) 419 142 254

Cameron Shorter
Technology Demystifier

M +61 (0) 419 142 254