[OSGeo-Conf] Niagara Fall responses to all questions - SINCE THERE IS STILL NO WIKI ACCESS GRANTED

Till Adams adams at terrestris.de
Mon Oct 15 23:54:05 PDT 2018

Dear Chris,

I am sorry for <our technical issues. I think, the fact, that there are
still questions coming up is due to those ,who do not have the timetable
in mind - like you and me and also the voting members ;-)

Maybe we have to work on the format again, as I have seen some
questions, that go to deep for the LoI phase already anayway.

Many thanks for your replies, I am sure, that the voting members of CC
will consider these in case, they did not vote yet. I think that step 1
is not a bug hurdle anyway, as every LoI has the chance to pass.

Regards, Till

Am 15.10.2018 um 20:52 schrieb Renschler, Christian:
> [...]
>>> outreach etc.) that the chair/co-chair have made to FOSS4G communities.
>>>
>>> Answers provided by each chair:
>>>
>>> B. Berg. Co-Chair (Canada) Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada FOSS4G 2020
>>> bid -  "Open Software, Open Data - Without Borders":
>>>
>>> Over the past 2 years, I have endeavored to network through our local
>>> Geomatics Meet up group and stressed the use and availability of open
>>> source software.  I have always tried to help anyone in need of
>>> direction in regard to finding answers to questions in regards to
>>> open source GIS software.  Also, I am co-presenting a demonstration
>>> on November 10th 2018 to OAGEE Fall Conference (Professional
>>> Educators), on the benefits of using OSGeo software in educational
>>> and professional settings.
>>>

>>> Assoc Prof. Christian Renschler, Dept of Geography, University at
>>> Buffalo, Buffalo, New York   Co-Chair (USA):
>>>

>>> As a MA/MS and PhD advisor of more than 40 graduate students in the
>>> US and co-research advisor of more than 10 foreign exchange students
>>> from Spain, Germany and Italy, Chris Renschler encouraged students to
>>> contribute their codes since more than 15 years (starting within 2003
>>> with Alex Sorokine submitting a wrapper script for GRASS that runs
>>> TITAN2D model from gmfg). In particular, the open source software and
>>> open data research led to the creation of VHub.org <http://VHub.org>
>>> , a National Science Foundation-funded (USA), cyber-infrastructure to
>>> share data, code, imagery and other related information among
>>> scientists, national observatories, and civil-protection authorities
>>> to make better decisions about hazards in volcano landscapes. Chris
>>> also developed the role-based access controlled (RBAC) Geospatial
>>> Project Management Tool (GeoProMT.org <http://GeoProMT.org> ) to
>>> manage and shared geospatial, multi-temporal data such as GIS data
>>> and remotely sensed images as well as how this information is
>>> processed and analyzed promoting the free exchange of data, code and
>>> models and the reproducibility of science. Chris Renschler was also
>>> involved in the response and free data exchange during major
>>> disasters including Superstorm Sandy in 2012 and the Haiti Earthquake
>>> in 2010 (https://youtu.be/KGcjdhosOdU) as well as the recovery
>>> efforts of the radioactive contaminated communities in Japan after
>>> the 2011 Fukushima-Daichi nuclear power plant disaster.
>>>
>>> Although, neither of the co-chairs has been directly involved with
>>> FOSS4G Committee's, conferences or local chapters (as there are no
>>> such organizations as yet established in our  respective areas), it
>>> is our desire to establish a bi-national group to promote the use of
>>> OS geo software and the creation of open source data by governments &
>>> private companies. Also, to learn from the hosting experience, to
>>> better formulate our own responses to community needs in creating
>>> better open-source and open data models
>>>

>>> 2.  How have the chair/co-chairs been involved in
>>> promotion/governance (Charter Membership, Involvement in Committees

SHOGun - das WebGIS Framework.
Jetzt umsteigen! QGIS 3 ist verfügbar.

Mail: adams at terrestris.de
Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 52

terrestris GmbH & Co. KG
Kölnstraße 99
53111 Bonn

Tel.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 51
Fax.: +49 (0)228 - 962 899 57

Internet: www.terrestris.de

Amtsgericht Bonn, HRA 6835

Komplementärin: terrestris Verwaltungsgesellschaft mbH vertreten durch:
Torsten Brassat, Marc Jansen, Hinrich Paulsen, Till Adams

Informationen über Ihre gespeicherten Daten finden Sie auf unserer
Homepage unter folgendem Link:
https://www.terrestris.de/datenschutzerklaerung/