[OSGeo-Conf] Finalisation of RfP-Document for RfP FOSS4G 2020

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Mon Sep 17 06:04:37 PDT 2018

Hi List,

Apologies for the late thoughts to this thread, I've been offline for a
while.

While the draft RfP does tentatively cover Human Rights in relation to
the host country's human-rights activities, there doesn't seem to be any
larger goal or coverage of ethical/sustainable provisions so I thought
I'd make some suggestions.

To expand, I'd like to suggest on the Human Rights front that there are
more issues that can be covered and fairly simply too. For example, the
last two FOSS4G events I went to had t-shirts - they seem to be a common
theme - assuming the next one does too, what provision would they make
to source these garments ethically? A lot of cotton is grown in
Uzbekistan by basically slave-labour, and the then used in factories
that have almost-as-bad conditions. Similar human-rights issues surround
things like chocolate and coffee, which is why there are a lot of
"FairTrade" and similar badges in those domains. There is actually an
"easy" (if lazy) way to fix this: simply make sure such things are
"FairTrade" or similar. Sure they often cost more, but that's in part
because you're no-longer using child/slave/woefully-underpaid labour,
and not-exploiting-people costs money. So for the RfP: What provision
will the conference make to ethically source its foodstuffs/clothing/etc?

The other obvious component is the green-credentials (sustainability) of
the proposed conference. Questions might include: Is it in a place with
good public transport or do you need to take taxis everywhere? How
accessible is the conference via non-flying (and will you give a
discount to non-flying delegates (as an idea))? What (if-any) green
credentials does the proposed venue have? Do you have carbon-neutral
plans for the conference? Will foodstuff be locally sourced? Etc, etc.

I can probably offer more and/or flesh these out if desired.

Of course, all of the above also requires that the conference committee
use them as part of the evaluation criteria.

Cheers,
Jonathan