[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2020 - Halifax site causing confusion

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Thu Dec 5 02:59:19 PST 2019

I'm wondering if someone can explain how this is different from having
FOSS4GUK and FOSS4G Bucharest within a month of each other and
geographically *much* closer? I'm not sure how being in the same country
is such an issue when the distances are so huge. I'd use an analogy of
two events on the opposite sides of a continent but... that's exactly
what's happening! From a green-sustainability perspective this seems
like a potential win.

I agree with Jerome's point and remember the conversation hence my
notion and wondering if this is an example of how the current system
doesn't work? I can see how a year later could make more sense but
that's for Jeff to decide. Given OSGeo is volunteer driven, shouldn't we
be encouraging well-meaning participation (even if contentious) rather
than lambasting it?

Cheers,

Jonathan