[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G MailChimp account

Jonathan Moules jonathan-lists at lightpear.com
Fri Jan 25 14:40:29 PST 2019

Given no-one else appears to be against the tracking, I guess I'll put
my oar in.

Isn't this counter to the spirit of Open Source and the freedoms that
FOSS is meant to encompass? Certainly I know that Richard Stallman takes
great exception to being tracked, and generally speaking his track
record on why we shouldn't give up our freedoms readily is pretty much
spot-on. The "Free" in FOSS is liberty, not price.

Is it right to sacrifice the end users privacy in this manner? It may
meet the letter of the GDPR, but it seems counter to the spirit. So I'd
say tracking should definitely be disabled.

Cheers,

Jonathan