[OSGeo-Conf] R: R: R: *early* Preparation of RFP 2021

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Wed Jun 5 06:50:30 PDT 2019

Hi,

I also think this is a problem. Choosing the foss4g venue is one of the
most relevant tasks of OSGeo because it decides where and how the community
is going to grow that year.

Having not committed people on that decision is an issue. And I understand
someone may not have time to review it some years, that's fine, we cannot
be 100% always. Skipping some processes is normal.

But people that can't take the time to review it year after year shows they
are no longer interested/are disconnected/are too busy and we should
acknowledge it and don't make them part of the decision. I don't think
pressing them to participate is also good, this is a hard decision and
should be taken by people who can and want to do it.

Having people not voting leads to forcing other people to vote without
really reviewing the proposals. Because we have to get the minimum quorum
and we need votes, no matter if they didn't have the time to review.  I
don't think it is a good idea to have people without the time to properly
review the proposals feeling forced to vote.

 Why not cleaning the pool of voters before, by making them explicitly
agree to participate on the process each year? Like: all the voters have
until 1st of September to accept the task of reviewing. If they don't
explicitly show interest, they will not be part of the process (although
they can ask questions like any other osgeo member).

Cheers,
The other Maria.