[OSGeo-Conf] RFP Evaluation method

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Thu Jun 6 15:18:27 PDT 2019

Hi Jonathan,

On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 11:44 AM Jonathan Moules
<jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> Indeed, and I would then suggest taking all of that hard earned experience, knowledge, priorities, and weightings and putting them inside an objective, measurable framework where it is less susceptible to biases, both conscious and not.
>
> This would produce a much more open process, more in line with the O in OSGeo and the "open philosophy" part of the OSGeo Mission Statement. It also means experience and lessons learnt aren't lost when people leave the voting pool as with Cameron's input for instance.
>
> Depending on the scoring metrics used, it would also allow for a more direct comparison between proposals. And as a bonus, the scoring/metrics being open means it's open to comment and feedback from everyone, meaning the process is now more "participatory community driven development" (again, straight from the one-sentence Mission Statement).

I do find the questions from voting and non-voting members to be the
most useful part of the process.  Generally the list seems very open
to sincere participation from everyone.

> Cheers,
>
> Jonathan
>

> On 2019-06-06 19:18, Steven Feldman wrote:
>
> Jonathan
>
> Each member of the committee will bring their own priorities and experiences to the voting process.
>
> So for you the environmental considerations might be paramount while for someone else delivering a highly affordable delegate price may be their priority or another might be concerned about overall financial risk to OSGeo and someone else might be very focussed on diversity. We each have a different set of criteria and we also apply different levels of importance to those criteria.
>
> The current system allows each voter to apply their own criteria and weightings and to select the proposal that they think best, the majority vote then wins. I know when I vote I usually have a good feeling for one of the proposals based on a mix of factors, you could say that was unconscious bias, I would say it was a combination of instinct and experience
>
> cheers
> ______
> Steven
>
> Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org
>
> Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild” newsletter
>
> On 6 Jun 2019, at 17:55, Jonathan Moules <jonathan-lists at lightpear.com> wrote:
>
> Hi List,
>
> Following the protracted discussion about voters in the parallel thread it occurs to me that it's begging the question that voting is good.

I'm not quite sure which thread you mean but yes, there have been many
voters/voting/etc discussions on this list and others.  A recent
thread that I started was here,
https://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/conference_dev/2018-December/005036.html
 I didn't hear many viable suggestions for different methods from that
thread.  I'd like to hear more.  I'd particularly like to hear Paul's
thoughts that he warned would be the result of an entire day of
thinking!  (or because he has 2-3 iterations of experience of starting
conferences like this)

> Why exactly do we have voting for this? Surely the better and (far) less subjective option is to an objective scoring system by which to measure the quality of the submissions? There's still element of subjectivity of course ("is this answer a 6/10 or a 7/10?"), but it's largely objective, measurable, and transparent.

This raises a good question, "why are we voting?"  Historically, we
voted because selecting FOSS4G was key to OSGeo's financial future.
This is still the case (more detailed in the referenced thread) but
overwhelmingly we are selecting between multiple nearly equivalent
high quality options.

While your proposal is perhaps an improvement (to formality and
openness) to the existing voting, it is still substantially the same
thing and I don't see the point of this method any more than our
existing method.  We can vote like we do now and more or less
arbitrarily select one very good proposal over another very good
proposal.  Or we can go through a systematic open scoring method and
score one very good proposal 92/100 and the other very good proposal
93/100; that seems like an equally arbitrary selection method to me.
In the case of very good proposals, the selection method does not
matter since the result is the same (very good proposal meeting all
the criteria and leading to a very successful conference and sound
finances).  We could flip a coin or draw from a hat.

> As far as I can tell from the transparency in the current voting (i.e., none) and reading the proposals (half of which usually reads like a tourist brochure), votes could easily currently be getting cast via "I want to go on holiday there next year". And while I'm not suggesting that's actually happening intentionally, it's almost certainly going to be a subconscious bias in the current process.

As far as I can tell (i.e. also none), "where I want to go on
vacation" is the most valid criteria that we have currently as the
substantive criteria in both cases are so excellent and near
equivalent.

(The other) Maria wrote:

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 6:50 AM María Arias de Reyna <delawen at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I also think this is a problem. Choosing the foss4g venue is one of the most relevant tasks of OSGeo because it decides where and how the community is going to grow that year.

Geography of past conferences is certainly one criteria that I use,
wanting to bring OSGeo and FOSS4G to new areas.  Other than
geography*, I've not found many valid criteria to vote on.  I've not
heard many proposals either.  * this is again in the case of multiple
near equivalent high quality proposals.  In the case of proposals that
don't meet the important criteria, then it is an easy decision but
that is not the situation we usually find ourselves in.  So in my
opinion, we mostly have one valid (but rather weak) criteria for
evaluation.  That's why I want to hear more criteria or even better
new selection methods entirely.

Best regards, Eli