[OSGeo-Conf] Reporting back form FOSS4G-NA TGP

Jody Garnett jody.garnett at gmail.com
Tue May 7 15:09:09 PDT 2019

Not so much lessons learned as discussion points (the lessons to be applied
depend on what a given event is wishing to accomplish).

A lot comes down to the form:
- Having a clear form was very helpful in that we got clear answers aiding
the review
- Asking confirmation questions ("do you need a visa") was more affective
then a disclaimer indicating a visa was the applicants responsibility
- Taking folks at their word on diversity questions (self identified
minority visible or otherwise) allowed us to meet our goals while
respecting folks privacy
- Happy to discuss any of the form questions if the email list is
interested....

Effectiveness:
- Clearly fewer larger travel grants is needed for the North American
event. While Air travel is so much cheaper in the USA (not as cheap as
Europe) the price of accomidation really underscored the fact that these
travel grants were not intended to be a sole source of funding
(while we were clear that the grant could not be the sole source of funding
it also means we were not able to reach
- We carefully respected applicants privacy making with no requests on
their time. As an example they could thank sponsors if they wished but that
was up to them. Our goal was for recipients to participate in the
conference and share their enthusiasm with their community back home.

FOSS4G global and regional interplay:
- The response showed a strong desire for an event in Africa (we hard more
applicants from Nigeria than the US for example). To follow our regional
foss4g model we would need folks in Africa to put on such an event - have
there been any parties expressing an interest?
- We did not get enough applicants from the North American region (an
indication that there was not enough money being offered)
- We did not get enough applicants for even the free conference ticket
grants intended to support the local region ...
- Several applicants were working from the foss4g 2018 playbook emphasising
OSM experience and community building rather than open source. Next time we
do a joint event we will have to remember to emphasis our OSGeo vision a
bit more.

We tried a couple "community participation" questions and approaches that
may be of interest as one of our stated goals was community building:
- All the recipients had some plan to share their experience with others
- We listed "speaker with accepted presentation" and "instructor with
accepted workshop" and "contributed signed up to the code sprint" as an
avenue to support any community members in need of assistance (since we did
not offer speakers free conference tickets at this event). Was pleased to
see that taken up by at least one applicant.
- FOSS4GNA also offered a discount to contributors signed up to the code
sprint" which supported our goal of community building. But because editing
the wiki requires a wiki login (and wiki login's were not being handled the
other month) it ended up being elitist rather than outreach

--
Jody Garnett