[OSGeo-Conf] FOSS4G 2021 Buenos Aires BID - Full proposal

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 06:45:39 PST 2019

Malena

Thanks for your great proposal. Lot's of exciting ideas which I welcome. I'd like to focus on the financial stuff (as usual for me!) - also posted at https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q%26A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Q&A_Stage_2_Buenos_Aires>
You have asked for a $60k advance from OSGeo, normally we have limited our advance to $40k, can you provide some more detail on why you need a larger advance and the timing of the cash outflows?
Are you also seeking any further guarantees or underwriting from OSGeo?
If you request an advance from OSGeo the norm is that at least 80% of the surplus from your event is returned to OSGeo, your proposal only returns 30% to OSGeo. This is a substantial change which would need to be approved by the Board if recommended by CC, can you explain why such a low %age should be accepted?
Your projected surpluses are on the low side, whilst I appreciate your low ticket prices, I wonder whether you can afford to charge a little more and possibly reduce the early bird discount to a consistent 20% (particularly for what you define as International) as a way of increasing your surplus and providing a safety net?
I love the low prices that you are proposing and the option to top up pricing for those who can afford more, perhaps you could phrase this in a slightly different way by quoting higher prices and allowing those who need to self declare for a discount with the lowest price being your current rates? This could work well for corporates who may not respond well to a request to top up but could voluntarily exclude from an "in need" discount.
I did not see any explicit mention of video recording or streaming. What are your plans and are they fully costed in your budget?

May the FOSS be with you
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org <http://mappery.org/>