[OSGeo-Conf] Need to define rules for %age of backflow of FOSS4G surplus

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Fri Jan 3 10:02:16 PST 2020

On Fri, Jan 3, 2020 at 7:15 AM Steven Feldman <shfeldman at gmail.com> wrote:

> We should be clear that granting permission to host a global FOSS4G comes
> with an expectation of returning a material surplus to OSGeo to fund all of
> our activities.

I think that has generally been clear.  If it isn’t, we should further
clarify the rfp.

> Eli’s suggestion sets a formula which helps to grow the local OSGeo
> chapter and channels the bulk of the surplus back to OSGeo.

That was an off the cuff suggestion.  I’d like to hear thoughtful
suggestions of what the correct amount is to recognize the work and effort
of the local chapter and to properly fund OSGeo activities in that region
for a long time (or in the case of startup funds that sustain themselves,
perpetuity).

Once we come up with some numbers for that, we can consider different
priority/stepping/etc formulas of how to get there.

Leaving local funds for local OSGeo activities is one of the best ways to
help grow OSGeo to new areas and for existing areas to thrive.

> We may also wish to discuss how we balance the desire for a low cost of
> conference pass and a substantial travel grant programme to encourage
> accessibility with the need to generate surpluses to fund OSGeo. In the
> past ticket prices of $650 plus strong sponsorship have delivered surpluses
> of $100,000-200,000, unless we can increase conference sponsorship lower
> ticket prices will reduce the surplus.

I’ve not yet seen a proposal that does both low cost of conference passes
and substantial surplus returns.  I’m open to trying one that does.

I see the TGP (a substantial program run very well by you and others) as
partly filling the needs of low cost conference tickets.  Due to the large
scale of the TGP this seems to be doing okay.  I see local and regional
events really filling the low cost conference pass need.

Eli