[OSGeo-Conf] Lessons Learned from FOSS4G Calgary 2020 and Recommendations for the future

Steven Feldman shfeldman at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 02:47:38 PDT 2020

Jon thanks for a great summary of the questions that we need to address and for your recommendations which I largely agree with.

I would add a further question - given the challenges of accessibility, the financial risks and the environmental impact of running a >1,000 person global event should we re-evaluate our whole events programme as part of our strategy for community building, outreach and financially sustaining OSGeo? I covered some of this in my keynote yesterday at FOSS4GUK, my slides are here https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VhViqXxRUQjMwc4ubVPrjE0dec31uwR12yVQBfVesc4/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1VhViqXxRUQjMwc4ubVPrjE0dec31uwR12yVQBfVesc4/edit?usp=sharing> (you will need to read the speaker notes)

I would ask the board to consider Jon’s thoughts and recommendations and provide some guidance to CC as to how you want us to proceed
______
Steven

Unusual maps in strange places -  mappery.org <http://mappery.org/>

Subscribe to my weekly “Maps in the Wild <http://eepurl.com/dKStT-/>” newsletter