[OSGeo-Conf] [Marketing] Proposal to subscribe to an email platform for all of OSGeo committees

María Arias de Reyna delawen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 01:59:37 PDT 2020

Hi!

> I'd like to see SAC make a recommendation of what they think is best for them to support at a high level where we don't find ourselves unable to send email for a week or so.  I'll send something to the SAC list asking for input.  Can someone monitor that?  (or maybe SAC will provide feedback here.)  My schedule doesn't allow me to be a reliable participant right now.
>
> I see one of OSGeo's most limited resources to be volunteer system administration.  There is some paid system administration that helps some but even combined SAC resources are limited.  Just to be clear, I think that SAC does a great job with a lot of demand!  Here is part of what is on SAC's plate, https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Systems+Admin&order=type&col=id&col=summary&col=component&col=type&col=status&col=priority&col=milestone
>
> I'm inherently concerned about running mail servers, especially mail servers sending images and html messages with links, and things that could have more of the characteristics of spam.  Getting incorrectly listed on a blacklist has a lot of consequences and is not easily or quickly reversible.  See for example, https://trac.osgeo.org/osgeo/ticket/2475

In my experience, and due to the oligopoly of companies "owning"
internet, running a web server properly is very very hard. It is very
easy to be marked as spam if you are not running your mail server on
one of the "big" ones. Did you know that sending a CC to 15 gmail
accounts from your personal mail server is usually seen as highly
suspicious by Google so they bounce the email? That kind of stupid
stuff.

So, with a teared heart, I would totally understand if SAC can't or
won't take care of a mail server that will send "suspicious" emails
like the proverbial "last minute email" to all attendees.

Cheers!
María.