[OSGeo-Conf] RfP FOSS4G2024

Adam Steer adam.d.steer at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 01:31:35 PST 2022

Being a citizen of other, thinking differently about how to define
FOSS4G locations is a great idea :)

People from other spend a lot of resources to reach a FOSS4G in the
north. Also if FOSS4G is held in other regions of other - eg southeast
other (2009 location) to southwestern other (2021 location), or
southeast other to mid central other ( 2018 location), or mid central
other to southeast other or really most parts of other to other parts
of other - all those transits are still really expensive. I'm not even
sure someone from mid central other would be able to fund attending a
conference in southeast other, because southeast other is expensive
even on a global scale, and even more expensive (with possibly more
visa issues) than getting from mid central other to Europe!

Regional events are one answer, and yes, they're great! They are still
disconnected from the global community - or even other parts of other.

I like Maria's suggestion of thinking more broadly about defining
'where' FOSS4G happens, and helping to priorities different regions.

Perhaps another solution is for OSGeo to decouple 'FOSS4G' and 'main
source of OSGeo funding'. If we are not relying so much on profit from
FOSS4G every year, then it seems we open a lot of opportunities for
putting FOSS4G in other more often. I'm really interested to hear your
thoughts about that - is it something we can achieve as an
organisation in 2023? Is it something we *should* aim for?

Let's keep these discussions going somehow! It is great to see them on
the table.

Thanks :)

Adam