[OSGeo-Conf] RfP FOSS4G2024

michael terner ternergeo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 08:43:02 PST 2022

Sorry to be late in joining this thread, indeed it is very important. A
couple of thoughts/observations:

   1. THANK YOU Vasile for putting out the 2024 RFP document for review.
   2. I would agree that re-thinking geographies and the nature of the
   regional rotation is appropriate.
   3. I understand that there's more conversation about OSGeo getting more
   sponsorships directly, and that is a good thing. But from my vantage we are
   a long way from what Adam stated: "If we are not relying so much on
   profit from
   FOSS4G every year, then it seems we open a lot of opportunities for putting
   FOSS4G in other more often." This should certainly be our goal, but it
   will take sustained effort to build that consistent sponsorship and funding
   stream. It seems right now, that the FOSS4G Conference revenue remains
   extremely important, and that a good chunk of that sponsorship revenue
   helps to both contain ticket costs and deliver surpluses. And, there
   are other questions:
      - What kind of financial commitment will be made to a conference team
      based on OSGeo sponsorship?
      - How does a conference team "manage" their own sponsorships without
      conflicting with OSGeo's efforts? What will be the rules of the road?
      - Etc., etc.
   4. The other thing that concerns me greatly is how many volunteer teams
   are still out there who can put together such a large and
   expensive conference with potential risks? While COVID remains a factor,
   the latest 2023 RFP - which was a *worldwide* call - only yielded *one
   proposal*. Is there any reason we might not have the same result in
   2024? Are we certain we will get even one proposal?
      - In light of these concerns, might it be time to think about *active
      recruiting* by OSGeo to find interested partners, and to actively
      support those partners? How can OSGeo encourage and incentivize regional
      OSGeo chapters and other organizations to step up to hosting a Global
      FOSS4G? Simply put, might we need to change the volunteer model?

Food for thought, and discussion within Conference_Dev.

Also, in light of all the discussion on regions and other proposals for
change, what is the next step? Do we have a target date for releasing this
RFP?

Thanks...mt

On Fri, Dec 16, 2022 at 6:53 AM Tatiana Pará <tatianamdefreitas at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I also understood it this way, that's why I cogitated the possibility of
> 2024 being in Brazil.
>
> Em sex., 16 de dez. de 2022 05:01, Luca Delucchi <lucadeluge at gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Il lun 12 dic 2022, 10:42 María Arias de Reyna <delawen at gmail.com> ha
>> scritto:
>>
>>> I have only one question: are we then repeating North America? Because
>>> 2023 was NA year, we just didn't get any proposals.
>>>
>>> By giving another opportunity to NA for 2024 we are delaying the
>>> "Not-EU-Not-NA" region opportunity. Should we maybe have a shared "this is
>>> not EU-not NA, but if you are NA you are welcome to try" round?
>>>

>> I have some questions about this topic:
>> - Do you think this rotation is still needed? After COVID people is a
>> little bit scared to organise so big conference.
>> - And second do we still want to give half changes to not EU-NA countries
>> to organise and promote foss4g to their own countries? If we want to have
>> rotation I would like to propose 4 year cycle, EU-OT-NA-OT
>>
>> Probably this discussion should be done for the next RfP because now it
>> is late
>>
>> Best
>> Luca

Michael Terner