[OSGeo-Conf] Stepping aside

Eli Adam eadam at co.lincoln.or.us
Mon Oct 31 11:58:47 PDT 2022

Hi all,

For the past few years, I've been trying to get some other committee member interested in the historical aspects of the committee that I care about (properly archiving documents on OSGeo servers, adhering to our committee processes, and maintaining institutional knowledge).  My intention was to retire from the committee after feeling that I had completed that.  I don't feel that I've completed that but think it is time to retire anyway.  I've updated the wiki accordingly.  If those items are still relevant and important, some active committee member will figure it out or ask for historical information when they need it.

I had also hoped that we would perhaps overhaul our competitive RFP process of LOCs starting from scratch to a more institutionalized (i.e. perhaps contracting services that goes from year to year and working collaboratively to the advantage of  OSGeo and LOCs).  There may be related efforts underway in that regard, https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Conference_Resources.  I'm hopefully that those are successful and can become the default and conference committee policy but that is for other people to lead.

I'm hopeful that making more space on the committee allows other members to lead to a new future.  I enjoyed my time on the committee and think that we did some important work, particularly moving to institutionalize the TGP.  I might chime in on the email list occasionally.

Best regards, Eli