[OSGeo-Discuss] I just saw this link go by my email ....

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Tue Aug 1 12:15:23 PDT 2006

Hi,

	Thanks for the link. I am glad to see that GOS NSDI etc are fairly
far along in the discovery services angle.

	Also interesting, for anyone looking into the potential of catalogue
services: http://csi.cgiar.org/geonetwork/documents/fgdc_presentation.pdf

After skimming the OGC CSW 2.0.1 and trying a few experiments on CSW call
chains looking for WMS services at
http://www.geodata.gov/aimscsw/csw2.0?service=CSW&version=2.0.0&request=getc
apabilities, I didn't find an easy way to search for WMS/WFS/WCS services
(using GetRecords), but I am a newbie on CSW. I did find some more
interesting SOAP services!

Perhaps http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Discovery_Working_Group
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Metadata_Requirements
is working out an approach to the discovery issue from osgeo perspective.

Discovery service is a need and a lot more complex than I had thought at
first glance. Just a way to find getCapabilities links on available OWS
services is a good start. FGDC metadata is certainly complete and CSW is
flexible, but in the meantime lightweight metadata would work.

I like this note:
Per Chris Holmes': "Something much more lightweight, that other services can
crawl."

On a separate note:
	I have sometimes been frustrated by the imposition of a front end
client to services, hiding the middle tier OWS from direct access. Quite a
few services seem to have ESRI clients in the front and require some time
consuming investigation to get at the getCapabilities url.
	"Open", I think, should entail open to other service chains and
client interfaces, and a good start would be some neutral url repository.
Detailed metadata like owner, bbox, attributes... are available from that
basic starting url, at least on OWS.

Thanks
Randy