[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS - really low cost hardware platforms for this?

Bob Basques bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Wed Aug 2 13:19:01 PDT 2006

M.Blackmore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 14:55 -0500, Bob Basques wrote:
>

>> Interesting little device.
>>

> Does look like fun. There is a fairly good discussion going on Devon and
> Cornwall LUG at the moment about this - seems like a goodly number of
> the west country lads are into it. And I gather it is eminently
> hackable. http://www.dclug.org.uk/

I just sent a couple of question into their info Email, We'll see what
comes back.

I think you're right though, unless they are doing things really weird
in the kernal, it should be possible to get a version of each component
to run on it.  I've benn looking a 3D browser as a mapper of fact, I
have three 3D layers coming out of MapServer for example for CAD users,
but I would like to build something for general use, but the 3D aspect
seems to be a hobbler with regard to Browsers, Plugins needed, etc.
Seems like a Spatial (3D enabled) browser is the way to go, possible
alongside a regular browser, where the 3D environment has it's own
Browser like capabilities, but in a Virtual world model (3D) instead of
a 2D version of things.

bobb