[OSGeo-Discuss] OSGeo: Taking stock of OSGeo after six months

Jody Garnett jgarnett at refractions.net
Wed Aug 16 14:05:09 PDT 2006

Gary Lang wrote:

> As a board member, I’d like to throw out a question to our audience,
> as we reach the six-month mark.
>
> I’d be very interested to hear the general public’s description of the
> following, from their perspective:
>
> What’s not working about OSGeo?

- incubation process is a bottle neck
- developer and user community benefit (so far has been work for no
visible gain, I have hopes FOSS4G will change this, and OSGEO is a long
term play for us so I am not surprised)
- feedback on several issues (documentation license, site look and feel
etc...)
- viscomm: coordination on promotional materials (only found geotools
handout by accident - and name is GeoTools not Geotools, and project
logo not present )
- procedures, could not quickly find out how to announce a recent
release (I am sure it is my fault but still)
- committee communication with projects (ie community is not in the
habit of checking out the flurry of email lists and committees have not
contacted project representatives as needed)

> What is working about OSGeo?

- Incubation process is a bottle neck (yes this is on both lists)
- Incubation forcing a us to address many issues that have always waited
for a driver
- publicity at conferences
- wiki (as collaborative tool)
- IRC channel (meet and greet)

> Thanks ahead of time for your comments.
> Gary

Thanks for all you hard work Gary, and the board it has been an
interesting ride, and I hope participation picks up in the months ahead.
Cheers,
Jody