33rd IGC Oslo - some general comments

Henning Lorenz henning.lorenz at geo.uu.se
Wed Aug 23 03:19:00 PDT 2006

Hi!

I'm glad that the discussion about activities at the 33rd IGC in Oslo
started a lively discussion. A missunderstanding is that abstracts are
requested now:

The first circular has been distributed during the last few month with
the message "Participate in planning the programme!". No abstracts are
expected yet, but proposals for sessions and other activities.
The deadline for proposals is the 31 august. A second circular in the
beginning of next year will then announce the scientific programme and
ask for abstract submissions. And why the plan 2 years ahead? Well, a
conference for 8000 expected people and masses of excursions and
activities can't be planned over a weekend - and here's the chance to
give input to the programme for everyone!

In the proposal text which Markus put on the wiki I tried to put forward
the importance of free and open source geospacial software for all
geoscientists. Many are interested already, and even more don't know yet
that they actually are :). So we should try to submit a proposal which
will attract all these people.

To Paolos and Markus' comments:
Yes, an Antarctic and Arctic Tectonic map is going to be produced for
the conference. The coordination of the Arctic map is here in Uppsala
and I'm involved myself.
And to the conference fees - other large international conferences, as
EUG and the GSA are more expensive, at least when you compare the duration.

Cheers,

Henning

--
International Geological Congress 2008 Oslo:
Participate in planning the programme!

GnuPG-key:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=index&search=Henning+Lorenz