[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GIS reloaded

Bob Basques bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Fri Aug 25 08:14:12 PDT 2006

Mateusz Loskot wrote:
> Bob Basques wrote:
>
>> Silke Reimer wrote:
>>
>>> Hallo!
>>>
>>> I have been very pleased to see the thread about Mobile GIS on
>>> osgeo-discuss when I have come back from a three weeks vacation
>>> time. This kind of applications seems to become increasingly
>>> important and it would really nice to have a framework of Free GIS
>>> tools to fulfill certain main tasks.
>>>
>>> There has been the idea to have a BOF session at Lausanne. So far
>>> two persons have announced their interest: Tim Bowden and Mateusz
>>> Loskot. I am interested as well and wanted to now whether there are
>>> already more concrete plannings around.
>>>
>>> Furthermore I wanted to know whether there are any news about
>>> hosting a mobile gis development at maptools (Tyler?). If not I can
>>> offer project registration on wald.intevation.org, which is a
>>> platform based on gforge. Thus SVN, issue tracker, Wiki,
>>> email lists etc. could be made availabe in short term. We just would
>>> have to decide for a name and for project admin(s).
>>>
>>> Many greetings,
>>>
>>>     Silke
>>>

>> All,
>>
>> I've not been posting because of other pressing needs.  But I can now
>> announce that I may have some hardware available to test some things
>> with, although these might be a little left of the field vs mainstream.
>>
>>    * Recent MACBook Pro purchase.
>>    * Socket BlueTooth GPS
>>    * Working  on an AirCard of some sort for Wireless.  I can use My
>>      Treo650 in a pinch as a modem, still not my preference at this
>>      point though.
>>

> Hi,
>
> Do you mean it will be available during FOSS4G or you are eager
> to send it to developers?

Not quite that far yet,  good try though.  :c)

I've actually Purchased the MAC for other reasons (testing out AutoCAD
running on the Mac in a Virtual Machine, not too bad so far.)  But I can
also test the any Client code that comes out of development.  I'm mostly
talking about the GPS Listener aspect, since the WebServer and Browser
won't be a problem with this type of Setup.

Although, I'm sure the WebServer Syncing Aspects might require some
tweaking(s) here and there.

I have some ideas about getting started on the project by my lonesome,
but I'm also very interested in participating in a group such as this as
well.  I guess what I'm really offereing up, is the ability to test the
Component pieces in  a MAC OS, as well as set up a public access system
to the final product in operation.  Nothing sells like a working version.

bobb