Introduce myself and my projects

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 13 15:19:18 PST 2006

Philip Mark Donaghy wrote:
> I have always been concerned by the licenses. BSD being my preferred
> license, I have a question. Is the foundation going to have a
> foundation wide licence like the Apache License. And will it be based
> on the BSD license? Also what are peoples thoughts on avoiding the
> LGPL license?

Philip,

It looks as if the foundation will accept any OSI approved
license for projects, though there was some talk of encouraging
a few preferred licenses to reduce complication.  The LGPL is
generally felt to be fine for library projects, as is the MIT/X/BSD
license, while the full GPL is more appropriate for end user applications
since it's application to libraries limits their reuse.

> That reminds me, is the foundation going to use the subversion system.
> I read that the samba group is going to start using a Bazar NG system
> which are distributed repositories. Sounds interesting.

The Subversion source control system will be made available to projects.
The core foundation web site is currently under Subversion.

Best regards,