GPS collection

Philip Mark Donaghy philip.donaghy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 05:40:34 PST 2006

I have a common GPS that can collect data at 10ft accuracy. I would
like to build a library/tool that can extract the data from it and
store it directly in the file format of my choice regardless of the
GPS brand.

The software would have a list of supported devices. Each supported
GPS has a corresponding driver that abstracts the data using the
device software development kit or interface to the data into a known
application program interface that is used to extract the data.

I would compare this software to Apache DB DdlUtils which allows users
to define and reverse engineer database schemas. This tool allows one
to go from Postgresql to xml to MySQL in a few simple steps.

I would like the gps collection software to go from Garmin to gml to
shapefile to xml to Magellan. So that data can be both extracted and
imported from and to GPS devices.

I have a garmin etrex legend c that I will use to prototype the software.

--
Philip Donaghy
Skype: philipmarkdonaghy