[OSGeo-Discuss] GPS collection

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Wed Feb 15 06:06:11 PST 2006

All,

A few years ago we worked on a project that collected the data with
Hardware libs that translated to a database storage schema.   The
database was then queried for any of the GPS devices.

This setup was nice since the different hardware items each had their
own Data comm LIB for dissecting the GPS data and converting it too a
common data type in the database.  Once in the database, the output
options are endless.  We had all hardware in the project IP based, so we
could query in realtime, with about a 7-10 second time lag for the
tracking.  Also with the database approach, we had a history of all GPS
tracks to work from.

As far as integration into other projects, it was very easy, since
anyone that could access a database could use the tool.   I would really
like to get it fleshed out further.

I've been wanting to get back to it, just haven't had a GPS project to
leverage the work against.   Just sounding off on it.

bobb