[OSGeo-Discuss] Individual vs. corporate belonging

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Fri Feb 17 15:07:48 PST 2006

I think we should distinguish between individuals (aka members) and
corporations (aka sponsors?). In FOSS, it's the individual that
matters. Individuals carry their reputations with them from company
to company. It makes sense to make the membership be attached to the
individual.

I can also see mpg's point. We should not make it hard for
corporations to sponsor OSGeo. We should make it as easy as possible.
That means that we should learn about what it is that motivates a
corporation.

I may be off base, but it seems that a corporation has different
motives for participating in OSGeo and wants to achieve different
kinds of recognition.

I also think that in a very broad sense, corporations are "customers"
of FOSS, whereas individuals are "producers" of FOSS. Corporations
benefit from having high-quality FOSS available when they want to
build/sell/service a product. Individuals benefit from being able to
provide services and in the FOSS world this is based on their
reputations within the FOSS world.

So I don't think that corporations want to have the same relationship
with OSGeo that individuals do. Thus, we need to provide the right
kind of relationship. I suspect that both the individuals and the
corporations want to have some measure of "control" over OSGeo but I
don't think that means there will be a conflict.

I've been thinking that we should somehow provide the following:

- PSC's for packages - i.e. MapGuide, MapServer, etc.

- PSC's for committees - i.e. open data, core curriculum

- a PSC for individuals who are not members

- a PSC for corporations who are sponsors

Then there should maybe be some formula for board composition based
on the number of PSCs. Then it's a matter of adjusting some weighting
factors. Perhaps the Individuals and Corporations should each get one
seat. Then the rest of the seats are done by vote of the members.

One drawback of that is that each corporation's influence is diluted
each time a new corporation is recruited. So maybe there should be
some way of bumping up the board seats on some kind of stepwise
basis. 1-5 corporations - 1 board seat. 5-10 corporations, 2 board
seats. Etc. The board grows over time. Maybe there's a cap on board
size and when that cap is hit, then the weighting gets recalculated.

Maybe corporations should be able to contribute either direct cash,
or labor. Since we're dealing in FOSS, there's clearly no in-kind
software donations so that won't be an issue. Maybe there can be
service donations. Legal, servers, etc.

I'm not so hung up on the particular scheme. But consider that we
should make corporations think they have a voice, and they have a
means of benefiting from participating.

	Allan

--
Allan Doyle