[OSGeo-Discuss] Abstract, please look at.

Tyler Mitchell tjm at timberline.ca
Wed Feb 22 09:28:31 PST 2006

Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I completely agree!  I think Prof. Ari Jolma was asking about ways of
> better connecting university research work and open source projects

One idea that crossed my mind a while ago was to help actually connect
students with each other who are working on a common/related project.
Those kinds of collaboration/networking skills are an invaluable part of
an education.  I would love to get to the point where the foundation had
the interest in (and associated funds for) supporting OSGeo exchange
students.  I haven't work through the idea in detail, but I am thinking
of the tremendous value that it could have for bringing students
face-to-face to collaborate on projects using OSGeo tools.  Related to
this could be bursary/scholarships for students who do some great OSGeo
work.  Note, we're not just talking about programmers here, but also
those who use/extend/apply the tools into particular domains.

Pretty rough ideas still, but you get the general direction.

Tyler