Mapbuilder wants advice on how to become a legal entity

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 12:07:34 PST 2006

We, the Mapbuilder Project Steering Committee, would like to create a
legal Mapbuilder entity and would like legal advice on what sort of
company we should set up.

In particular, we would like to be paid to join the OGC's KWMIP
interoperability project: http://www.opengeospatial.org/initiatives/?iid=198
(Proposals due 7 March).

Later we would like to bid on other projects, offer support etc.

We'd like the Mapbuilder Company to by controlled by our Project
Steering Committee (with international members).

We probably want to company to be of minimal value (all contracts going
in should go out in wages/contracts/expenses).  Keeping the financial
value of the company to a minimum will ensure people join for technical
rather than financial reasons.  I assume this means we should be looking
at a Not-For-Profit company?

What sort of company structure should we be setting up?
What do we need to consider?
How fast can we create such a company?

--
Cameron Shorter