Proposal to find an alternative to Collabnet

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sat Jul 15 11:49:49 PDT 2006

Steve Lime who is mentoring Mapbuilder has pointed out that Mapbuilder
infrustructure is spread out across multiple web sites and would look
much better if we were to consolidate in one place.  And that place
ideally would be http://mapbuilder.osgeo.org
I think these are good ideas, but I don't want to move Mapbuilder tools
under Collabnet as it stands.
I haven't notice a large uptake of Collabnet from other projects either,
so I suspect others have similar reservations.

Problems with the current Collabnet:
====================================
1. Collabnet use many proprietary tools.  If someone stops paying for
Collabnet support then Mapbuilder will have an expensive bill we can't
pay, or we will be likely to loose a lot of our project data and/or we
will require a lot of effort migrating our data to another platform.
I want an exit strategy which address how we can get our data out before
we enter Collabnet.  I've mentioned this before but haven't heard a
reasonable solution.

2. Many of the tools we currently used (supplied by Codehaus) are not
supplied by Collabnet and the cost of migration is medium to high.

3. Ethically, I'd prefer to see Open Source projects use Open Souce
tools.  Having said that, I'm also pragmatic and have made exceptions
before for tools which are provided free for Open Souce Projects (as is
the case with many of the Codehaus tools).

Proposal:
=========
1. I propose that Collabnet as it stands is not acceptable to be the
OSGeo Platform.

2. As a group we define what we require from a platform.
This page is a good start:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Project_Infrastructure_Migration

3. We decide how we can best achieve our requirements.

--
Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net