[OSGeo-Discuss] Web project feedback wanted

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Tue Jul 25 07:21:27 PDT 2006

Hi Kathy,

	I think you would really benefit from looking at open source. A
combination of PostGIS http://postgis.refractions.net/ on the backend with
GeoServer in the middle tier, as an open standard WMS service,
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/GEOS/Home would provide a lot of power with
no license costs.

The browser client could be as simple a custom html wrapper on the WMS call
or a complete interactive client like MapBuilder, or a more interactive
custom SVG client.

TIGER polygons are free so all you need to add is the contribution data
fields. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/cob/bdy_files.html
(PostGIS includes a shp importer)

Some additional benefits:
	1. map views are completely user customizable by field filters
and/or geospatial boxes

	2. You can stack the thematic zip polygons on other OWS layers like
TIGER streets, USGS Atlas, TerraServer DOQ/Urban imagery etc which may help
with interpretation.

	3. You can export GeoServer WMS to KML for Google Earth layers with
no extra effort.

	4. You can allow the users to create their own map styles

	5. You can even get really out on the edge and let local political
groups update their own data, publish their own views etc
Community GIS from the grassroots up is still just an idea but WFS-T
(included with GeoServer) provides a technical framework for it.

Here is an example of an SVG client for thematic views of Census
Demographics coupled to OWS services. It uses public OWS services as well as
GeoServer to let a user stack layers under the thematic views. This is just
an example of the kinds of things that can be done with open source.
http://www.web-demographics.com/Census

Downside:
1. You would have to be able to load PostGIS and GeoServer on an http
server.

2. You would have a learning curve moving from ESRI products to Open Source
software

Either of these may be a showstopper for you but it's worth noting that
there are lots of choices besides ESRI/Oracle these days.

Randy George
www.cadmaps.com