[OSGeo-Discuss] Web project feedback wanted

Dave Patton dpatton at confluence.org
Wed Jul 26 09:12:57 PDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi Randy,
>
> On 7/25/06, Randy George <rkgeorge at cadmaps.com> wrote:
>> Here is an example of an SVG client for thematic views of Census
>> Demographics coupled to OWS services. It uses public OWS services as
>> well as
>> GeoServer to let a user stack layers under the thematic views. This is
>> just
>> an example of the kinds of things that can be done with open source.
>> http://www.web-demographics.com/Census
>
> ... this page isn't widely accessible:
> "To view this page you will need to use IE browser 6.0 or newer."
>
> I tried to explain the problem to the site owner but didn't success.
> They insist that one has to use MS IE >=6.0.

I am using a browser that is newer than IE 6.0.
It's called Firefox.

When I see a site like that, my only interaction
with it is to close that browser tab.

Besides, the page isn't entirely useless - if you look at the
HTTP traffic, you'll see that the javascript file for the
Google ads is loaded, along with one ad, before being replaced
with the 'welcome to the evil empire' message ;-)

Using Firefox, if you trick their javascript browser detection
code into thinking you have IE, the next test is for the Adobe
SVG ActiveX control. If you are going to talk to the site's
owner again, maybe point them to this page:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/svg/
(however, given the current state of their page, including
all the HTML authoring problems, I wouldn't expect any
meaningful result).

--
Dave Patton

Co-Lead Developer, Punt