[OSGeo-Discuss] I just saw this link go by my email ....

Randy George rkgeorge at cadmaps.com
Wed Jul 26 16:25:18 PDT 2006

Hi Paul,

	Very helpful overview.

I didn't know - "GeoServer includes support for the Z39.50 catalog server"

There aren't very many OWS catalogue services around.
Although, this is a useful alternative:
http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/ogcsurvey/index.php :)

Actually bare links to capabilities xml might be just as useful as a full
blown OGC Catalogue.

Seems like an OGC Catalogue service (or something like it) would be a useful
service for OSGeo to host, since public OWSs hold a lot of promise for the
data side of open source.

I would think NSDI(http://www.fgdc.gov/grants )would want to implement at
least a catalogue service for USA agencies (part of One Stop). OSGeo is a
'bit' more internationally oriented and could better perform the role of
international OWS cataloguing. A combination of search and community
populated OGC services would really help. Right now it's difficult to find
url's to services, many are still experimental, some are not publicized due
to resource limitations.

Hmm, I just ran across this:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Geodata_Discovery_Working_Group
Looks like work in progress. Has anyone looked into a 2007 grant proposal to
NSDI?

thanks
Randy