Mobile GPS data collection...

Just van den Broecke just at justobjects.nl
Thu Jul 27 14:12:13 PDT 2006

Hi,

I was informed by Cameron about this interesting thread, hence I just
joined the list. Hopefully I can contribute to this subject and/or find
opportunities to collaborate.

I've been doing mobile GPS data collection for over a year now in the
context of Locative Media projects. I started out with GeoSkating
(www.geoskating.com) gradually building this into a client/server
platform GeoTracing (http://www.geotracing.com). GeoTracing is in the
process of going OSS (geotracing.codehaus.org). We are still seeking
more developers....

Something about client-apps:

I have mainly used Java (J2ME Midlets) on smartphones with Bluetooth GPS
(JSR-82 API). Apart from the bugs in the phones and pecularities with
operator settings this went reasonably smooth.

I am now researching the use of PDAs and Desktops (Macs, PCs etc).
Instead of developing custom software I am challenging the use of the
webbrowser with AJAX to run the client application. For the desktop this
was sucessful modifying a small Python app called mehere
(http://mehere.glenmurphy.com/), basically having a GeoTracing client.

Next: PDAs. I have been playing with the Minimo browser and found this:
http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/dougt/archives/016719.html But I'd love
to see someone with .NET experience develop a MobiTracer

Ok, there is much more on this subject. My approach was to treat data
collection as a portal/CMS activity combined with media/POI geotagging,
using a leightweight custom XML protocol (no WFS-T). (Ok I did not have
a GIS-background).

(Unfortunately I am about to leave for a 4-day holiday away from email
so I can read/respond earliest on monday).

best,

--Just

Just van den Broecke  just at justobjects.nl
Just Objects B.V.     tel +31 65 4268627 Skype: justb4
The Netherlands       http://www.justobjects.nl