[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Fri Jul 28 04:16:47 PDT 2006

Gary Lang wrote:
> Very interesting.
>
> Might we be able to say that data collection is optimal using
> handhelld technology and field data management is optimally done
> witgh laptops (we'll leave aside the difference between clamshells
> and tablets)?

Gary,

I agree. That's what I wanted to say too. The data collection in
difficult terrain
(http://mateusz.loskot.net/gallery/drawsko-survey-2004/10_G)
needs smaller and long lasting devices, like walking.

Certainly, data management is much more comfortable on laptop/tablet PC
like OQO or other models.

BTW, here is my small gallery from forest surveying in January 2004:
http://mateusz.loskot.net/gallery/drawsko-survey-2004

AFAIR, forestry departments in Poland started to use GPS for daily work
between 2002-2004. So, this expedition in the gallery is one of our
first, we were testing devices and learning best practice of surveying
in forest.

Also, as you can see, we were using business-class equipment.
The accuracy of forest maps in Poland is about 6-8 meters, so using
Socket GPS with laser range finder did give us (and is still giving)
quite good results.

>From economic point of view, we was not be able to
use high-accuracy GPS devices used in geodesy, because of:
- high price
- we could not stay 10-20 minutes to catch every point because we needed
to measure 8-12 forest gaps every day.

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot