[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Markus Neteler neteler.osgeo at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 14:07:15 PDT 2006

Mateusz, all,

On 7/29/06, Mateusz Loskot <mateusz at loskot.net> wrote:
> I'd add to the data collecting functionality list features like:
>
> - voice control - user should be able to control the application and
> device functions using voice commands
>
> - speech recognition - writing on PDA is not very convenient, so it
> could be good to add speach recognition, so user would be able to save
> notes in the database/file
>
> - another functionality of speech recognition I see is controling data
> input, for example user gets the drop-down list of options, she could
> use voice commands in similar manner as letters input on desktop (type K
> to move the list focus to the first option starting with K letter).
> So, saying Ka would work similarly, move focus to the first option
> starting with K letter. Saying a whole word would try to find recognized
> element on the list, etc.

My former colleague Radim Blazek (with Luca Nardelli) developed such
a PDA application with speech recognition:
http://gisws.media.osaka-cu.ac.jp/grass04/viewabstract.php?id=30

It even understood *my* Italian :-)
AFAIK it was based on open source components. There was a video
of that which I cannot find right now.

Markus

PS: Tyler: please no extra mailing list.... please... why forking this off?
Specs will be written in the Wiki anyway.