[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Bob Basques bob.b at gritechnologies.com
Sun Jul 30 16:42:12 PDT 2006

All,

I'm more inclined to go with some sort of Web Based Syncing of the data
collection.

My first thought was to use a WebServer on the device that handles the
data collection as a standalone device, and also the communications with
a main database server.  This is just a starting point for conversation
however.  But it's all dealing with automating things to the fullest
extent.  Having the Webserver on the mobile device handle the
communications with the main Database server instead of having the user
worry about it.  All the user sees is whether the Web servers have had a
connection yet and were able to sync with each other.  This type of
system would work with a automatic wireless connection or a manual
syncing process.

I would also propose having a auto-tracking map where most, if not all,
of the input is done via a spatial interface.  This seems to be the
easiest type of interface to use for such things and doesn't add to the
training aspects appreciably.

bobb