[OSGeo-Discuss] Mobile GPS data collection...

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Jul 31 23:13:30 PDT 2006

Norman Vine wrote:

>> I think this is the logical way to start something with as many
>> capabilities as possible are available all at once.  It seems like
>> the quickest way to get something going.  And the hardware can be a
>> portable with Linux, easy to figure out what one might have to work
>> with.
>
> I think hardware is portable
>
> No need to bring an OS into the discussion  :-)

Norman,

I put some details of most popular mobile operating systems just for
discussion purpose, to be sure we've analyzed the subject in details.
I'd be inclined to focus on Linux only, but I'm sure it needs to be
discussed.

Although, I also sure that supporting Windows CE-based
platforms like Pocket PC would help to spread the project.
But I also know we have limited resources, so to start-up the projects
quite fast, we will likely need to focus on one platform.

Next, after the project will be mature and it will become more popular
in mobile developers, we could try to port it to Windows CE or Palm OS
or any other mobile device.

Cheers
--
Mateusz Loskot