[OSGeo-Discuss] Nominations

Chris Holmes cholmes at openplans.org
Thu Mar 9 11:03:22 PST 2006

Rich Steele wrote:
> Jason Birch wrote:
>

>>It was pointed out to me that while the bylaws permit this, the
>
> current
>
>>call for nominations explicitly limited them to voting members.  I
>
> think
>
>>that this should be reconsidered for the next board elections so that
>
> we
>
>>don't exclude anyone that the voting members think have merit.
>

> Aha.  I see that the email from ChrisH announcing the opening of board
> nominations added this line:  "Nomination to a board position is now
> open to any **voting member** of the Foundation" (emphasis mine)
>
> This was not in the original wiki posting here:
> http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Proposed_Board_Election_Procedure
>
> So I missed this nuance.  My apologies.
Yeah, I actually am not sure how/why I put that in the email, but that
email was approved as the one to send out by the board.  I'm more
inclined for board membership not being limited to voting members, and
was going to change it in the email I sent out, but the version I sent
had already been approved by the board.  So I'd say for this election
the text is that you must be a voting member, in the future, as per the
bylaws, it will be open to all.  If there is a non-voting member who
really wants to go for a board position, they could perhaps talk to the
board about changing the text.

best regards,

Chris