[OSGeo-Discuss] Certification commitee

Helton Uchoa uchoa at geolivre.org.br
Tue Mar 14 11:24:06 PST 2006

Hi Frank,

I think that we can start the work thinking in a issue like "MapServer
Certified Professional". I believe that "OSGeo Certified Professional"
is a more complex concern. Let's break the problem in simple (small)
parts. :)

The "favoritism problem" exists in the best families, so I believe that
in "OSGeo family" won't be different. There's only a way to minimize
this problem: define points to a technnical process to choose the next
software certification, maybe define some prerequisites too. To simplify
the initial work of certification process we can start choose only one.
Probably, the most members will choose MapServer.

I believe the creation of certification process is too hard and really
It will need many months (maybe years :-\ ). But the construction of
building starts with first floor (a engineer analogy, sorry ;-) ). The
OpenGEO has worked with FOSS GIS training (MapServer, Geotools,
GeoServer, JUMP, etc) in Brazil and It has a great interest in make a
small team with (2 or 3 professionals) to work in certification process
in OSGeo. Probability others companies will be interest in help this
project or committee. But certification process is a new area to me, so
the initial work will be a research about the others (open source)
certifications.

I agree that one mission of "certification committee" must be make a
complete cost analysis to put the process on "road". Yeah, It's not a
simple work, I know, but someone needs to start.

I'll organize the initial informations in the wiki to start the
"brainstorm".

[]s

Uchoa

--
Helton UCHOA :: uchoa@{opengeo.com.br;geolivre.org.br;open3dgis.org}
Consultant in Free Software for Geomatics - 55 21 8272-4899