[OSGeo-Discuss] Board member position statement

Ari Jolma ari.jolma at tkk.fi
Wed Mar 15 11:38:46 PST 2006

Jo Walsh kirjoitti:
> --------
>
> What factors external to code make open source projects really successful?
>
> - Brilliant documentation
> - Engaging demos
> - A supportive community

I can't resist commenting on this. I believe the main factor, which is
behind all of these,
is that the successful free software solves some problem better than a
proprietary counterpart
or it solves a problem that no proprietary software solves. Once it has
this edge, the
community comes, and the good people of the community produce docs and
demos,
and a positive circle prevails.

Just my 5 cents :)

Ari

--
Prof. Ari Jolma
Kartografia ja Geoinformatiikka / Cartography and Geoinformatics