[OSGeo-Discuss] Geodata & Education

pmarc paulomarcondes at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 03:11:10 PST 2006

> Just out of curiosity, how much would it cost to get maps for a local
> area digitised in the 3rd world? Say a collective whip around of
> organisations who would benefit from free maps. I've absolutely no idea
> of how many person hours it would take to digitise the area of, say, a
> UK 1:25,000 map area.

The Brazilian Institute for Geography and Statistics (our survey and
census bureau) [1] is releasing several maps [2] in shapefile format,
but not properly referenced.

However, for the scanned maps (tiff), they were charging about US$ 12,
while the printed maps usually run around US$ 4. Since the last
printing runs were done more than 15 years ago, there is a shortage os
several maps.

However, utility companies, that were once state-owned have several
high quality, 1:10k maps, but closed.

[1] www.ibge.org.br
[2] http://www.ibge.gov.br/home/geociencias/default_prod.shtm#TOPO
--