[OSGeo-Discuss] Distribution Special Interest Groups

Alexandre Leroux alexandreleroux at mac.com
Fri Mar 31 07:34:12 PST 2006

> geotorrent.org is focused on serving geospatial data, and I'm not
> sure it would be apppropriate to start shoving software binaries in
> there.
> I would like to see a torrent handler for software setup at osgeo.org.

Yes yes! That would be great. In fact, the torrent file links could
be done directly on a OSGeo wiki page. Some torrents could eventually
be hosted by the OSGeo (if the OSGeo agrees, of course), but this
"geotorrent wiki page" would also include .torrent files hosted
elsewhere. With the main objective to act as a "One-Stop webpage for
all geo-related torrents".

Important: we would need to make sure there is no duplication of
efforts. I'm mainly thinking about geotorrent.org here. I'll stop
here, some discussions with the folks behind geotorrent.org are
required.

On the other hand...
The challenge is in fact bigger. Why stop ourselves at torrents? A
website is badly in need for all open/free geo* data/software. This
could still be done within a wiki structure. For software, the
structure is very simple. For data, an intuitive way is required. It
could be, still on the wiki, structure by regions (the best approach
in my opinion). Example:
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Data/World/ [list subregions here and
list data covering the whole world]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Data/North_America/ [list NA
subregions here and list data covering North_America]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Data/Europe/ [list Europe subregions
here and list data for Europe here]
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Data/Europe/Spain/ [This is subregion
Spain, list Spain's subregions here and data covering Spain here]
etc.... you get the idea.

Maybe the OSGeo could simply start with links to software files
(including hosting/linking to .torrent files?), leaving aside open
geodata for the moment, thus making the whole process way simpler.
Anyway, this would require more thinking, do what you want with these
ideas! :-)

Cheers,

Alex

http://slashgeo.org - In+ersec+ion for Spatial People
News and discussions about GIS, Remote Sensing and everything
geospatial.