[OSGeo-Discuss] Seeking historical map + modern reference map

Helena Mitasova hmitaso at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed May 3 10:42:08 PDT 2006

Markus Neteler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to illustrate the GIS capabilities of georeferencing scanned historical
> maps to a modern reference map, I am seeking a sample pair.
>
> Is anyone willing to "donate" it (be in public, be privately)?
> As European citizen I have the wel known problems to get
> such material...
> Also a non-European example is fine!
Markus,

NOAA has an excellent public historical map and chart collection here:
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/csdl/ctp/abstract.htm
I am sure it would be possible to find a matching pair using the USGS
national map data.
I don't have time right now to find out whether there could even be
something for
the area suggested as the Spearfish replacement.

Helena

> thanks in advance
>
> Markus

Helena Mitasova
Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences
North Carolina State University
1125 Jordan Hall
NCSU Box 8208
Raleigh, NC 27695-8208