[OSGeo-Discuss] Logo Contest Results!

Allan Doyle adoyle at eogeo.org
Wed May 3 14:52:22 PDT 2006

On May 3, 2006, at 17:23, Daniel Brookshier wrote:

> I have edited this page with the complete submissions.
> https://news.osgeo.org/contests/logo/
>
> I am going to ask the promotion and visibility committee to look
> into the catch phrase. There was some talk about it during the
> contest and in IRC. I'm happy with "Your open source compass", but
> we should look into it a bit.
>
> So, the logo is currently unofficial. We may need to SM or TM it. I
> don't have a big stick to stop you from using it.

I think the people involved so far want to Do The Right Thing...

You may want to put a TM on it, that can be done w/o any fanfare.
Then as soon as it's used in "interstate commerce" you own it and can
protect it. I would think that putting a TM'ed version on the
osgeo.org site would be a good first place to post it. The tagline
can always be changed later.

I think we would also be more comfortable with an OSGEO page of
"official" logo images that can be downloaded/pasted on our
respective sites.

The next step would be to register it. See your friendly,
neighborhood OSGEO legal counsel for proper advice!