[OSGeo-Discuss] I suggest overview page for osgeo projects and pointers to applications using osgeo projects.

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 13:01:13 PDT 2006

Lee,
This is a good point and something we need to address.
We have started writing a guide for webmapping clients at
http://wiki.osgeo.org/index.php/Choosing_a_Web_Mapping_Platform but the
page still needs more content.

Also, Paul's doc is at
http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/oss_briefing/2006-06-OSS-Briefing.pdf

You might be interested in a simple demo I put together recently for
tracking weeds on mapsheets in South Australia.
A user can click on a mapseet to get more information about it, then
edit and save the attributes. This simple demo is built using Mapbuilder
which saves data to a WFS-T (in this case geoserver). You are welcome to
the code if you want it.

http://bikemap.openearth.com.au:8080/mapbuilder2/demo/weeds/

Lee McKusick wrote:
> Hello list people,
>
>    I suggest you add an applications overview page that details the
> inputs, outputs and typical usage of the various osgeo.org programs.
>
>    I am in the design and component selection phase of a project. I need
> open source mapping.  That need brought me to osgeo.org.
>
>    My project is a community invasive weed mapper and response tracker.
> Except that my community is San Mateo County, California and the weed is
> Pampas Grass, my application is basically a web site for adding, editing
> and showing and reporting "data points on a topo map" plus email and
> users.
>
>   I suggest, then: Add a page to osgeo.org. For each osgeo app explain
> inputs and outputs and typical usage. If available, pointers to open
> source applications on the the Internet. If available, pointers to
> copyable and editable applications.
>
>    I apologize for being off topic. Thank you very much for the website.
> I will keep listening.

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net