Augmented Reality working group? (was: A9 street-view photo data?)

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Tue Oct 10 12:44:42 PDT 2006

On 10-Oct-06, at 5:48 AM, Andrew Larcombe wrote on Geowanking list:

> Mike Liebhold wrote:
>
> > Also, I'm particularly interested in 'first person',  heads-up,
> > augmented video views of geodata,
>
> Amen to that. One of the key things that is hardly ever addressed
> in the
> technical geospatial world is the appropriateness of the simple
> cartesian representation of space. However, phenomenologists from
> Heidegger onward argue that this isn't how we actually experience our
> world. 'first person' views (either synthesised or from video) can
> help
> us, along with things like viewsheds etc, to understand spatiality at
> the level of man.

I'm with both of you!  I am interested in starting a geo-augmented
reality working group so we can at least kick around some of these
ideas.  Anyone else interested?

Personally, I would like to see open source geospatial tools be
implemented in the 'true' 3D sphere - true meaning real world
coordinates for augmented reality so they can be an important part of
future solutions.  I think we do have a lot to learn from the 3D
gaming folks, etc. but I wonder where/how us vs them are reinventing
the wheel?

A few articles from my memory...
http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2300 - I rant a
bit in the first comment after the article
http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2038 - a bit on
the OGC spec for 3D web services (W3DS)

Anyone got any bright ideas for bridging the augment/virtual reality
groups with our geospatial goodness plus some of our GIS analytics.
I would love to chat more... how about a working group?

Tyler