[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

Thierry Badard Thierry.Badard at scg.ulaval.ca
Sun Oct 22 12:42:31 PDT 2006

Tyler Mitchell a écrit :

> On 10-Oct-06, at 5:48 AM, Andrew Larcombe wrote on Geowanking list:
>
>> Mike Liebhold wrote:
>>
>> > Also, I'm particularly interested in 'first person',  heads-up,
>> > augmented video views of geodata,
>>
>> Amen to that. One of the key things that is hardly ever addressed in the
>> technical geospatial world is the appropriateness of the simple
>> cartesian representation of space. However, phenomenologists from
>> Heidegger onward argue that this isn't how we actually experience our
>> world. 'first person' views (either synthesised or from video) can help
>> us, along with things like viewsheds etc, to understand spatiality at
>> the level of man.
>
> I'm with both of you!  I am interested in starting a geo-augmented
> reality working group so we can at least kick around some of these
> ideas.  Anyone else interested?
>
> Personally, I would like to see open source geospatial tools be
> implemented in the 'true' 3D sphere - true meaning real world
> coordinates for augmented reality so they can be an important part of
> future solutions.  I think we do have a lot to learn from the 3D gaming
> folks, etc. but I wonder where/how us vs them are reinventing the wheel?
>
> A few articles from my memory...
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2300 - I rant a bit
> in the first comment after the article
> http://www.directionsmag.com/article.php?article_id=2038 - a bit on the
> OGC spec for 3D web services (W3DS)
>
> Anyone got any bright ideas for bridging the augment/virtual reality
> groups with our geospatial goodness plus some of our GIS analytics.  I
> would love to chat more... how about a working group?
>
> Tyler

A little bit lately ... congratulations Tyler for the nomination ! ;-)

Otherwise, I am also very interested in the creation of such a working
group. Some colleagues and I, here in Laval University, have organised
last summer the First International Workshop on Mobile Geospatial
Augmented Reality in Banff, see http://regard.crg.ulaval.ca. 42
participants have attended this first edition and they contributed to
make this event a great success !

During the workshop, some internationally respected keynote speakers
have shared their experiences, points of view and prospects in the
domain of (mobile) geospatial augmented and virtual reality. Among them,
there were:

   - Nicholas Hedley, Simon Fraser University, BC, Canada
   - Tobias Höllerer, University of California in Santa Barbara, CA, USA
   - Wayne Piekarski, University of South Australia, Australia

All published papers of the workshop are now available online in pdf
file format, please see the Program section:
http://regard.crg.ulaval.ca/index.php?page=program.

In addition, some photos and videos taken during the presentations and
the demo session were added to the website, please see the Gallery:
http://regard.crg.ulaval.ca/index.php?page=gallery. Slides of the
presentations will be available soon too.

Next edition of the workshop is planned in two years (i.e. in 2008).
This next edition will be an opportunity to pursue the discussions and
reflections initiated in Banff and to strengthen the fruitful
collaboration between the Geospatial and Augmented Reality communities.
The FOSS4G community is obviously welcome to participate to this next
edition of the workshop !

Th.

--
Dr. Thierry Badard.

Professeur au Département des sciences géomatiques
(http://www.scg.ulaval.ca)
Chercheur régulier au Centre de Recherche en Géomatique
(http://www.crg.ulaval.ca)
Chercheur régulier du Réseau de Centres d'Excellence GEOIDE
(http://www.geoide.ulaval.ca)
Chercheur collaborateur de la chaire de recherche
industrielle en base de données géospatiales décisionnelles
(http://mdspatialdb.chair.scg.ulaval.ca)
Responsable du projet de formation sur les normes
internationales en géomatique
(http://sirs.scg.ulaval.ca/YvanBedard/formation_ISO.asp)
Administrateur du projet open source GeOxygene
(http://oxygene-project.sourceforge.net)

Université Laval
Faculté de foresterie et de géomatique
Département des sciences géomatiques
Pavillon Louis-Jacques Casault, local 1343
Québec, Qc, G1K 7P4 Canada

Tél.: (418) 656-7116 - Fax: (418) 656-7411
Courriel : Thierry.Badard at scg.ulaval.ca
Web: http://geosoa.scg.ulaval.ca

*AVERTISSEMENT*

Avis relatif à la confidentialité