[OSGeo-Discuss] Augmented Reality working group?

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Mon Oct 23 08:06:18 PDT 2006

On 22-Oct-06, at 12:42 PM, Thierry Badard wrote:

> A little bit lately ... congratulations Tyler for the nomination ! ;-)

Thank you.

> Otherwise, I am also very interested in the creation of such a
> working group. Some colleagues and I, here in Laval University,
> have organised last summer the First International Workshop on
> Mobile Geospatial Augmented Reality in Banff, see http://
> regard.crg.ulaval.ca. 42 participants have attended this first
> edition and they contributed to make this event a great success !

I was so excited when I saw this event come up - and it was
relatively close to home for me.  Unfortunately I ended up cancelling
my plans at the last minute due to work priorities.

> During the workshop, some internationally respected keynote
> speakers have shared their experiences, points of view and
> prospects in the domain of (mobile) geospatial augmented and
> virtual reality. Among them, there were:
>
>   - Nicholas Hedley, Simon Fraser University, BC, Canada
>   - Tobias Höllerer, University of California in Santa Barbara, CA,
> USA
>   - Wayne Piekarski, University of South Australia, Australia

Wayne's Tinmith implementation videos and concepts have been a major
encouragement for me to not give up interest in the field.  I am
specifically interested in something outdoor and very practical and
he seems to share the same interest and has a usable platform.

> Next edition of the workshop is planned in two years (i.e. in
> 2008). This next edition will be an opportunity to pursue the
> discussions and reflections initiated in Banff and to strengthen
> the fruitful collaboration between the Geospatial and Augmented
> Reality communities. The FOSS4G community is obviously welcome to
> participate to this next edition of the workshop !

I would love to see this happen.  Perhaps we can tie it into another
event.  Do you expect to host it at Banff or in Canada again?  Or do
you think it might be worthwhile tying it into our OSGeo Conference?
This may make for some interesting cross-pollination between our groups.

As I may have already mentioned, I believe that the whole "3D GIS"
won't really take off unless geospatial data begins integrated
visually into our perspectives of the real world - so I see a clear,
though maybe not obvious, tie into the geospatial open source
community goals.

Thanks for weighing in Terry.

Rob Agar wrote:
> I missed the start of this thread, but as an ex-3D game programmer
> the mention of 3D games graphics got my attention :)  Did the
> working group idea come to anything?  Please mail off list if this
> has been discussed at length before I subscribed.

No I haven't done anything further - was mostly curious to see if
there would be a firestorm of interest or not.  Does anyone suggest
an existing forum to use?  Otherwise we can set up some wiki space
and continue the discussion here until it gets out of control, then
move it to a new list.  Anyone else watching and wanting to follow
this more closely?

Tyler